Indonesia | Economics

Monday, July 10, 2006

The libertarian-utilitarian-moralist dilemma

Today, I stumbled upon Greg Mankiw's interesting perspective on a somewhat moral question. It's here. Here is what he wrote:

My personal philosophy is about 50 percent libertarian, 40 percent utilitarian, and 10 percent moralist. The libertarian and utilitarian usually keep the moralist pretty well contained: they have a 9 to 1 advantage, after all.

And then, he went on to elaborate what that meant for his hatred of gambling. He then elaborated further why gambling is unjust here.

I don't fully agree with his arguments - most likely because I am "elementally" different from Mankiw in terms of my philosophical outlook. Nonetheless, his is a quite interesting way to describe oneself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home